Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Sing Ho Hainanese Chicken Rice

Other than the similar name that it bears with my previous part-time Company, I don't really bother much about walking into the shop. But since this is hailed as the national favourite of our little island and almost EVERY HongKong friends of mine loveeeee this dish, no harm adding abit more fats to my body.
If you ask me to choose between roasted and steamed chicken, I will choose the "pak cham gai" (steamed chicken in cantonese). I am not too sure which one is more fatty or sinful (both looks the same to me), but the steamed chicken definitely brings out the flavour of the chicken.
Eating steamed chicken is somewhat similar to eating a beef steak. Medium well would be just fine. It can't be too over-cooked if not the meat will not be as tender. Typically, the chickens were hung up right infront of the stall after dipping them into ice cold water to keep the meat tender (just like how you wash your face with warm water and afterwhich, cold water to close the pores). However, there's another traditional and authentic way of placing them right smack on to a plate, instead of hanging them up. Which is a better way, I don't really care.
The chickens that they served over here were rather small in size. I reckoned they might be using kampong chickens, infact its' even better. Their meat will be more tender (since they run around in Kampong areas) and not so much on steroids to make them look fatter. The crispy skin of the roasted chicken taste good and the meat wasn't too dry. However, the steamed one will taste even smoother that you don't even need to chew them!!
When you're having chicken rice, everything must come together well. The rice here is moist, tasty and not overly oily. However, its' not very fragrant and I won't really crave for a second bowl though.
Not only the rice that plays an important part of the meal, the condiments as well. Strong and over-powering chilli sauce we have over here. Those who can't really take hot chilli like me, better control the amount. Nevertheless, the whole chunk of garlic i added in was marvellous. I am 100% garlic and onion freak, my dear readers!

Sing Ho Hainanese Chicken Rice
Middle Road (diagonally opposite Peace Centre, Sophia Road)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home