Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sun With Moon - Birthday Dinner

It was the time of the year again and this time round, its' my turn! I opt for Sun With Moon, unlike the previous high tea buffets the girls had. I prefer going for the ala-carte dinner, rather than paying more for something less.

Our appetizer dish. Rainbow Roll. Which consists of crab & mango rainbow sushi roll.
The first look of it doesn't really "appetized" me. But it turns out to be pretty good. The crab platter inside the sushi was rich and nice. The mango fruit on top of the sushi wasn't too sweet or sour-ish which might covers the taste of the whole sushi. The small bit of cucumber brings out the whole crunchy feeling in your mouth. Lastly, the sushi was perfectly hand-rolled without any single bits dropping out when we picked them up. And I realised actually everyone seems to be ordering this dish as well. Marvellous combination.
Our first main dish. Gyu Hotate Maki. Grilled Beef Roll with Golden Mushroom and Scallop.
I love Japanese's Hotate. Especially when its' grilled to perfection. This one was quite well done. Not too overly-cooked as the inside of the meat was still quite soft. As for the beef, Jiaying felt that it was a tad bit saltish. However, I felt that the beef was quite tender and inside the beef roll was actually the golden mushroom, nicely tucked by the chef. I love this dish! It definitely goes well with a bowl of white rice.
The second main that we ordered. Ton Tori Yaki. Grilled Pork Cheek Slices with Black Pepper.
Regretted ordering this dish. Firstly, can you see how much oil is oozing out from this meat?! And next, it just taste like normal deep fried pork meat that my mom used to cook for dinner. It was hard, tasteless and "charcoal-ly" done. None of us finished the whole plate of oily meat.
Third main dish coming up. The Norwegian Salmon Steak.
All four of us agreed this was the best salmon of all. The meat was soft and juicy. So sweet that we almost finished it within a minute! Normally I hates salmon skin, if the fish ain't fresh and wasn't cooked properly. But this was different. We do not need to squeeze any lemon juice on it and it just melts in our mouths without knowing it. Wonderful.
The last main for the evening. Kaki Bacon Yaki. Teppan Grilled Oyster with Spinach & Bacon.
Oh yeah, this piece of aphrodisiac thing was ordered by me indeed. Jiaying and Cuiping ain't comfortable with eating oysters initially as they were afraid of the 腥味。But after trying out this dish, they fell in love with grilled oysters! *hiak hiak* It was not stinky at all and the "juice" just oozed out in your mouth. Wooahh~~
Boring and salty bacon that I have nothing to comment about.
Time for dessert. Sobako Crepe. Buckwheat Crepe with Chestnut Cream and Sakura Ice Cream.
I don't really fancy this dish because I don't like the yellow paste inside the crepe. Supposed to be chestnut cream, but I felt that it tasted more like some 绿豆/黄豆沙。Yikes. So far, I only like the Sakura ice cream.
Next up, The Dessert Box of Assorted Sweets.
Fat and chewy mochis with red bean. Quite tasteless actually.
Jellies with peach and strawberry. I ate one green tea jelly and it was bitter like hell! Gosh.
Jiaying ordered this. Goma Pudding. Home-made Black Sesame pudding. Black sesame is not really my cup of tea, but it was quite fragrant. The pudding was soft and nice too. Anyway, a few tries were enough for me.
Lastly, the MUST TRY dessert from Sun With Moon. The infamous Tofu Cheese Cake.
In fact, It was supposed to be their signature dish for dessert. However, this home-made bean curd cheese cake wasn't really that appealing to me. Am I expecting too much? I felt that it tasted quite similar to the one from Shokudo! *faints* I should have try out this first, before trying others. What a wasted.

Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Café
501 Orchard Road
#03-15/16/17 Wheelock Place
Singapore 238880
(65) 6733 6636

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home